Our missions in detail
On behalf of VNF, we are responsible for :
- Operation of waterway traffic (boat traffic on network and through locks) and water management in navigable rivers and canals (supply and regulation via weirs and water inlets).
- Maintenance of public waterway infrastructures (locks, weirs, canals, dykes, banks, etc.).
- The restoring, modernisation and building new infrastructures.
- The promotion and development of waterways and river networks in partnership with other actors for activities linked to goods transportation and tourism.
- The management of toll payments, verification of port concessions, and all use of the public river network by third parties.
- The promotion of environmentally friendly techniques and practices (ISO 14001 certification and sustainable development label).
On behalf of the French government, we are responsible for :
- Policing navigation by verifying boats.
- Issuing aptitude certificates and navigation permits.
- Granting authorisations for events on water.
- Conducting studies on risk management and flood-related disasters.
- Maintaining, managing and restoring natural rivers.
- Policing water use (verification of water outtakes, effluents, hydroelectric plants, alluvial quarries, town planning recommendations, etc.).
- Policing fishing.